Attention runners: Ideal temps will soon be here! If you’ve been logging miles in the summer heat, praying for those cool mornings when you can wear running tights and windbreakers, your season is about to arrive.
For many runners, fall also kicks off unofficial race season. Several major marathons—Berlin, London, Chicago, New York—all happen from September to November. Even if you’re not training for a race (I’m not), it’s still fun to let yourself get caught up in the excitement as you watch these iconic events unfold.
With that in mind, this week’s playlist aims to capture that same autumnal race thrill with up-tempo pop songs and motivating beats that’ll help you power through to your finish line (even if it’s just the end of your block). If you’re not a runner, this track list is still pretty great for any type of strength or HIIT workout or just a nice walk outside!
Fall is also a time of change—whether you’re starting school or ramping up at work—so this playlist also feels appropriately transitional. I sprinkled in some seasonal moodiness with Billie Eilish and gave a nod to the end of beach days with Calvin Harris’s “Summer” and Florence and the Machine’s classic “Dog Days Are Over.” You’ll also find a few songs about breaking up and moving on (Miley Cyrus’s “Nothing Breaks Like a Heart” and “Leave Before You Love Me,” by Marshmello and the Jonas Brothers), but always with a rhythm that will keep you moving. And since I’m a music nerd, I ended this playlist with a cover of “Beggin’” by Norwegian duo Madcon. The original version of this song is by—who else?—The Four Seasons. Listen to the playlist below on Spotify or keep scrolling to see all the tracks.
- “Sinnerman,” Sofi Tukker Remix by Nina Simone
- “Bodies,” by The Knocks feat. MUNA
- “As It Was,” by Harry Styles
- “Summer,” by Calvin Harris
- “Leave Before You Love Me,” by Marshmello feat. Jonas Brothers
- “Nothing Breaks Like a Heart,” by Mark Ronson feat. Miley Cyrus
- “Weapon of Choice,” by Fatboy Slim
- “Waste It on Me,” by Steve Aoki feat. BTS
- “Cold Heart,” PS1 Remix by Elton John feat. Dua Lipa
- “La Perla,” Tourist Remix by Sofia Kourtesis
- “Frick Park Market,” by Mac Miller
- “Hold On,” by Justin Bieber
- “How Will I Know,” by Whitney Houston feat. Clean Bandit
- “Delicate,” Seeb Remix by Taylor Swift
- “The Sound,” by The 1975
- “Bad Guy,” by Billie Eilish
- “Wanderlust,” by Throttle
- “This Head I Hold,” by Electric Guest
- “Green Light,” Chromeo Remix by Lorde
- “Dog Days Are Over,” by Florence and the Machine
- “Beggin’,” Frank Walker Remix by Madcon