Contrary to popular belief, summertime can actually be a great time to run. It just takes a little bit of planning, so you’re prepared for the elements. There are a few things I always do: Go early—as in, start your run before 7 a.m.—to avoid the heat of the day. Dress appropriately—meaning, wear shorts and a tank top or sports bra, and make sure they’re made of breathable materials. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate before, during, and after your run. But perhaps above all, keep in mind that running when it’s hot outside is no joke. If you start to feel tired or even just a little light-headed, slow to a walk with absolutely zero shame. And no matter your speed, make sure you have great music queued up to motivate you.
With that in mind, I put together this super upbeat, dare-you-not-to-move-to-this playlist. There is an order, so the first few songs have a bit of a build, followed by some quicker tempos, and then I take it down again for the last song. I like to start with slower beats so I don’t go too hard out the gate, and end the same way to remind me to cool down and walk. Having said that, a major caveat: This playlist is over an hour long, so by no means do we mean you need to run for an hour. Jump around! Press repeat! Skip to the end! There are plenty of great hits on here that you might already know, and I hope you also find some new tunes to add to your own workout playlists. Play all of the songs below, or keep scrolling for the full track list. Stay cool out there, and happy running!
- “R U HIGH” by The Knocks, feat. Mallrat
- “Ride or Die” by The Knocks, feat. Foster the People
- “Digital Love” by Daft Punk
- “I Follow Rivers” – The Magician Remix by Lykke Li
- “Surfin’” by Kid Cudi, Pharrell Williams
- “Run It” by DJ Snake, Rick Ross, Rich Brian
- “Bad Habit” by The Kooks
- “Talk to Me” by Run the Jewels
- “Rebel Girl” by Bikini Kill
- “Oh!” by The Linda Lindas
- “Bad Reputation” by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
- “Shots” – Broiler Remix by Imagine Dragons
- “Under Cover of Darkness” by The Strokes
- “Cold Heart” – PNAU Remix by Elton John, Dua Lipa
- “Heads Will Roll” by The Yeah Yeah Yeahs
- “TOOTIMETOOTIMETOOTIME” by The 1975
- “Plastic Hearts” by Miley Cyrus
- “Miracle Mile” by Cold War Kids
- “The One” by M.I.A.
- “Eagle Birds” by The Black Keys
- “Little of Your Love” – BloodPop Remix by HAIM
- “Otro Atardecer” by Bad Bunny, The Marías