Is watermelon one of your favourite summer fruits? Of course, enjoying a small bowl or slice of watermelon is an excellent way to beat the scorching heat during summer. But did you know that watermelon supports weight loss? Yes, you read it right!
Even though it’s sweet, watermelons are not fattening. To set the record straight, it is a good dessert option for people looking to lose weight. For watermelon lovers, eating a slice brings to mind childhood summer memories. For those following a low-fat diet, watermelon can be a low-calorie way to satisfy your sweet tooth without running the risk of weight gain.
The best part about watermelon is its accessibility. Watermelons are available worldwide. They are extremely popular. As soon as summer hits, you can never pass by a fruit vendor without watermelon being on display.
What Do We Know?
Watermelon is an excellent source of antioxidants and can help prevent heart disease and cancer. It is also rich in minerals and vitamins that are amazing for your blood circulation. What’s more, you can consume its seeds and rind! They are easy to roast and eat if you’re on the go.
You know that watermelon is a popular fruit, but do you know why exactly a slice of watermelon feels so good to eat on a hot day? 92% of the weight of a watermelon is water. That’s a lot of water! With its high water content, eating watermelon keeps you hydrated. And studies consistently support the hypothesis of hydration and weight loss.
Eager to know how watermelon supports weight loss? Keep reading.
The main idea is that one serving, around 100 grams of watermelon, has about 30 calories or only 40-46 calories per cup. So for those trying to limit calories, watermelon is a low-calorie food that is not likely to contribute to weight gain. In addition, the high amount of water in the fruit keeps you satiated for longer. Every time you feel those sugar cravings kick in, eating watermelon could do the trick. Also, watermelon is an excellent arginine source, an amino acid that is extremely helpful in burning fat quickly. However, it is imperative to eat measuredly, meaning that eating an entire watermelon is out of the question.
The HealthifyMe Note
Watermelon has a lot of health benefits. It mainly consists of water, which means you can get all the hydration from the fruit, and it is also very low in calories. Plus, increasing arginine concentrations in the blood after consuming watermelon can help reduce fat deposits and improve weight loss.
Ways to Eat Watermelon for Weight Loss
The ideal way to lose weight is by burning more calories than you consume. Therefore, it is vital to supplement your exercise routine with a balanced diet. What makes watermelon so effective is that you’re eating a fruit that is mainly water and low in calories while ensuring that you won’t have any other cravings between meals. Ultimately, it also means that you will end up with reduced portion sizes, which is also great for weight loss.
Something important to remember amidst this information is that most experts advise individuals to avoid consuming watermelon at night. It is generally because of its acidic nature and eating watermelon in any form before bed could play a role in delaying your digestion process.
You can eat watermelon as a snack for post-workout since it won’t compromise the work you put in a while ago. Additionally, as with anything, too much of a good thing is no longer good. Try to limit your total watermelon intake to about 2 cups per day. Sometimes 1 cup is the right quantity for weight loss, depending on your preferences. For example, if you eat one slice of watermelon for breakfast, you can pair your lunch with three pieces of watermelon. Or have it as an evening snack before 5 pm.
The HealthifyMe Note
The best thing about eating watermelon is that it will reduce your cravings for unhealthy snacks and sweets by keeping you full for extended periods. It also helps reduce your portion size, which supports weight loss in the long run. However, it would help if you avoided overconsumption as it could lead to water intoxication. Also, avoid having watermelon at night, which could hinder your digestion.
Recipes to Try
All in all, keep in mind everything we have outlined for you above. You don’t have to eat watermelon as it is. There are many ways to consume this refreshing fruit. It doesn’t start or end with juice, although that is a great option!
Chilled Watermelon Soup
Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cubed watermelon: 4 cups
- Lemon juice: 2 tbsp
- Fresh mint: 1 tbsp
- Salt and pepper as per taste
Method of Preparation
- Take all the ingredients and blend them together.
- Add salt and pepper according to taste.
- Adjust seasonings as you see fit.
- Leave it to chill in the refrigerator for at least two hours.
- Garnish with fresh mint leaves, and serve.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cubed watermelon: 1½ cup (350 g)
- Strawberries, chopped and frozen: 1 cup (200 g)
- Banana, chopped and frozen: ½ (50 g)
- Milk, unsweetened: ¾ cup (200 ml)
- Two small lemons, juiced
- Chia seeds: 1 tbsp (45 g)
Method of Preparation
- Add all the ingredients to a blender, and blend until you reach a puree-like consistency.
- Adjust the consistency to suit your taste – add milk if you like a thinner smoothie or else add fruits to make it thicker.
- Pour into a glass, top with chia seeds and enjoy your smoothie.
- You can turn your watermelon smoothie into a smoothie bowl by sticking to a thicker consistency. Top with fresh fruits, nuts and seeds, and enjoy.
Chilli Lime Watermelon
Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Watermelon cubes: 4 cups
- Chilli powder: ¼ tsp (10 g)
- One lime, zest grated and juiced
- Crumbled cottage cheese: 3 tbsp (100 g)
- Chopped fresh cilantro(coriander): 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
Method of Preparation
- Place the cubed watermelon in a bowl and sprinkle with the salt and chilli powder. Toss well.
- Add the lemon juice and top with the lime zest.
- Add the crumbled cottage cheese and cilantro. Serve immediately.
All you need for these are a couple of cups of watermelon.
- Blend the watermelon into a puree and pour it into a popsicle tray.
- If you don’t have one, an ice cube tray also works!
- If you like, you can add any other fruit you want to pair with watermelon in your popsicles. For example, strawberry or kiwi makes a great pairing. All you have to do is puree your preferred fruit along with watermelon.
- Put in your chiller/freezer for a few hours until set. Serve and enjoy.
Watermelon is not just something to eat that can beat the heat. You can substitute your higher-calorie snacks with watermelon and be well on your journey to weight loss. Watermelon has many benefits, including hydration and satiation. Still, it can also be a key ingredient as you work toward your well-being. While consuming watermelon helps you lose weight, limiting your fruit intake to only watermelon is unhealthy. It means overeating one fruit is a wrong eating pattern, even if it is considered an excellent fruit for weight loss. To achieve any goal, the right approach is required. One must work on the proper diet and consistent workout regime for weight loss.